Tom is an editor and writer with nearly 10 years industry experience. Since graduating with an MA in Journalism in 2016 he has been discovering news stories, reviewing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and providing live coverage of conferences and events. He has fulfilled various commissions both in journalistic and educational roles including training young reporters and conversing as part of debate panel talks. Taking a thoughtful, considered approach to all his work, he engages zealously with political subject matter – something that has continued since his BSc in this field. Tom also shows a particular talent when covering games and technology journalism.
Editor in Chief: Voice Magazine
As editor of Voice I oversee the development and implementation of editorial and marketing plans. I manage a team of young contributors, commissioning, editing, and promoting their work. Most recently I have started work on refining our training offer, supporting early-stage creatives to start their creative careers. My role also includes client management, partnership development, and creating articles and resources for our readers.
Visit Voice Magazine
I have been self-employed since 16, starting in event management and music gigs before transitioning into training, public speaking, and project management. Working with organisations such as Royal Opera House Bridge, Southbank Centre and Tate Modern has ensured my knowledge and skills in core areas such as youth voice, political engagement, and technology and culture have remained both contemporary and nationally focussed.
In depth knowledge of all major operating systems, audio editing, a variety of content management systems, and Microsoft Office (including Excel)
Highly competent with Google Workspace Apps, including Analytics and AdWords
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interviewing, proof-reading, researching, and editing
Strong project management skills, including multi-stakeholder engagement, evaluation and budget management
Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and WordPress development
- Profiling children and young people’s voice in creative and cultural learning, Amplify is made for professionals working in the cultural, education and youth sectors. Working with 9 Arts Council England Bridge organisations, I managed the creation of 12 episodes that profile good practice in youth voice. That involved everything from creating the selection criteria, arranging the filming and interviewing, heavy involvement in the editing process, and creating supporting material.
- Kickstart Support
- Working with Upstart Projects, I oversaw the hiring, training, and day-to-day management of 24 young people through the government Kickstart internship programme. By mentoring and supporting young professionals at risk of long-term unemployment, I was to ensure they left our programme ready to progress into the next phase of their career, and indeed lives. Over half went into further employment, while others pursued further education or training opportunities.
- Unit Twenty Three Ltd/CIC [Director]
Unit Twenty-Three was a social enterprise in rural Norfolk that worked to increase arts and cultural participation amongst a low culturally engaged population. One of the keystone events we ran was DissFest, which was a multi- day celebration of local artistic talent. I also supported the charity with high-level strategy and management.
- Journalism MA (NCTJ accredited)
- This course covered all the skills required to be a versatile multi-media journalist. This included: digital and mobile journalism, video, audio and radio production, public affairs, court reporting, and essential media law. I also trained in media ethics and shorthand.
- Politics BSc (First Class)
- Dissertation: Can technology increase the political participation of 18-24 year olds in the United Kingdom?
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA)
- Clore Emerging Leaders 2023 intake
- NCRQ Safety for Managers – Level 3
- Principles of team leadership – Level 2
- Enhanced DBS
- HSQE Ltd. Designated Safeguard Lead, Children (2020)
- Arts Award – (Bronze, Gold – Level 3)
- Google Search & AdWords certification
- Full, clean driving license
For 3 years I was a member of the Arts Award Youth Network Leaders, representing the organisation at events across the country, and running consultation of networking events.
I was a longstanding member of my local Youth Council, and for a short period served as its Chairman
Digital Champion for Generation Code